Greenville County benefits from the foreign investment of countries the world over.
- Approximately 230 different international firms from 27 countries have a major presence in Greenville County. The larger 10-county Upstate region encompasses over 460 firms from 34 different countries.
- From 2010 to 2018, more than 76 companies have either opened new or expanded facilities or offices in Greenville County. These announced investments have totaled over $1.4 Billion in capital investment and over 5,400 new jobs.
- South Carolina has been ranked the #1 state for attracting jobs through Foreign-Direct Investment per capita in three of the last five years.
- South Carolina also recognizes the value of exports to our economy, and we have the necessary infrastructure and resources to support companies that want to export their product to the world.
- Foreign companies located in Greenville include: Samsung Networks America, Eurokera, Kyocera Mita, Mitsubishi, Saint Gobain, Ahold, Magna, Bosch Rexroth, Pierburg, Nutra, and Michelin.
Upstate International (www.upstateinternational.org) offers many services to internationals designed to integrate cultures and help them get involved in the community.
- Language classes are offered in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, and English as a second language.
- Upstate International provides country contacts in the Greenville area for over 20 different countries around the globe.
- Personal assistance is provided to newcomers through the Ambassadors Program. Help is offered in all aspects of establishing a life in Greenville, from school registration, choosing a doctor, to finding recreational activities for children.
- The Women’s Club has monthly meetings with topics ranging from health, to children, to politics. They also conduct day trips around Greenville and organize benefit events.
- Other activities at Upstate International include films, lectures, seminars, childrenâs activities, and publication of a monthly newsletter.
The Upstate offers many organizations to help incorporate internationals into local culture.
- The Alliance FranÃ§aise de Piedmont encourages friendship and cultural exchanges among Americans and native French speakers. (www.afusa.org)
- Many other international associations are located in the Greenville area including:
- Greenville Chinese Cultural Association
- German-American Club of the Carolinas and German-American Chamber of Commerce
- Italian-American Club of Greater Greenville
- Japan America Association of SC
- Swiss American Society of the Piedmont
- India Association of Greater Greenville
- Friends of Internationals
- Greenville Sister Cities International
- Hispanic Alliance
- South Carolina Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- The Michelin French School derives its standards by those offered by the French Ministry of Education in order to allow for an easy reintegration upon return to France. It is the only one of its kind throughout the nation.
- Japanese and German Saturday Schools and a Chinese School allow internationals to maintain their cultural and linguistic connections to their home nations through weekend classes.
- The International Baccalaureate Program housed at local public and private schools is seen worldwide as a superior secondary education. With an emphasis on foreign language fluency and fully developing the complete student, the IB program in Greenville is one of a kind in the Upstate.
- The German for Native Speakers program at Chris Church Episcopal School (CCES) began in 1995 and incorporates German lessons into their daily school schedule. CCES is accredited by the Bavarian Ministry of Education and Culture and is the only school outside of Germany to receive this accreditation.
- Restaurants: German, Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Mexican, Greek, Italian, Vietnamese, Thai, Dutch, Belgian, Persian, French, Jamaican, Irish, Columbian, El Savadoran, Peruvian, Middle Eastern and Afghani
- Groceries: Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Asian, Europena
- Religious Opportunities: Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Coptic Orthodox, Greek Orthodox
Would you like more information about Greenville’s business climate?
Please feel free to contact us for more information. You can also see what the quality of life is like in the Greenville area.